Friday, November 4, 2011

6 grain-free, low-carb weeks

Lost:
12 pounds (to bring me to my December goal weight more than a month early) UPDATE: Make that 13!
2-3 blood sugar crashes a day
Urgent, post-lunch need for a nap and/or caffeine infusion
Adult acne
Bloating and irregularity
PMS-related moodiness and cramps (I'll need a few more months to know if this is permanent or a single-cycle fluke)

Gained:
Energy!
Clear skin
Normal hunger (not sugar-crash induced feed-me-now craziness), and the ability to feel hungry for a period of time without panicking
Looser clothes

Yep, I'm sticking with this. :)

I've been doing quite a bit of reading and research here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/, and here: http://www.westonaprice.org/, and on the abundance of links to other studies provided on both. It all makes sense, but really the most important piece of research for me is my self-experimentation and finding how much better I feel.

At first I wondered why I feel so much better this time than I did the last time I tried a low-carb "diet" to regulate my blood sugar. Then I realized that my focus is different this time - the first time, I focussed narrowly on reducing my carb intake, and relied heavily on processed, soy-heavy supplemental and convenience foods. This time I'm doing my best to return to real, whole, fresh foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment