Friday, November 11, 2011

The Next Step

This past week, The Man spent many hours taking grueling written and physical tests for his next promotion as an instructor, and I'm so proud of him. Not because I know that he passed, because we won't know that for several weeks. I'm proud because of the dedication and commitment it took to get to this point - the years of work, the months of preparation, the hours of studying that he put in. Watching him teach is one of my favorite things - I love seeing the joy on his face and the way he interacts with the students, especially the young kids.

There are two types of rank in our organization - belts for students, which takes about two months to earn, and collars for instructors, which is much more difficult and can take several months or several years, depending on the level you are attempting.

When I first started this journey, I didn't even think about getting my black belt, let alone becoming an instructor. But the closer I get to my black belt, the more I think this might be my next step. I'm a little intimidated by the process, especially watching him, and my dad, and all the other instructors go through this week, but it's exciting to think about also.

He is encouraging me to do it, of course, but I know that if I am going to commit, I have to come to it on my own. The main thing driving me to the decision right now is the belief that teaching can make me a better student.

No comments:

Post a Comment