Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Red Recommended

I earned the last color last night. It felt good to tie on a red belt, and know that the next time the color of my belt changes, it will be to black. Of course that's another 6 months or so away, but it feels so close. And I felt stronger and more confident as a martial artist than I ever have at any other promotion. I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of things. But that wasn't the best part of last night.

My Little Man earned his blue decided belt. He's still a long way away, but he has come so far. Last night, after hours of hard work, and frustration, and practice, he looked like a real martial artist and not just a little kid doing it because his parents told him to. I am so proud of him. But to be honest, that wasn't the best part of last night either.

The best part of last night was my dad. My dad, who as long as I can remember has constantly pushed himself to improve, and done a thing wholeheartedly or not at all, got his black belt. He has ever been the rock of our family, and an inspiration to everyone he meets, but he stays humble. In class, he is focussed and powerful, helps others, makes jokes, and makes everyone around him want to punch harder, kick higher, and practice more. He's not just an incredible martial artist for his age, he's an incredible martial artist period.

When he executes a form better than people half his age, or punches through double boards and makes it look easy, I can't help thinking (and sometimes saying) "Yes, that's my dad!" I couldn't have been prouder to see that black belt tied on him, and I couldn't be prouder to call him my dad. As he always has, he makes me want to be better simply by being himself.

(I tried to add pictures, but I can't seem to get them to post correctly - if I can get them to cooperate I'll add them later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment