Monday, October 3, 2011

Goodbye, Paul.

I know, it's not the weekend anymore, and no, I haven't written the story about Knoxville yet. I know.

I was preoccupied by the passing of a great man. We lost my grandfather on Friday evening.

It's always sad when you lose someone you love.

But when that someone has left a legacy of deep faith, and quick humor, and quiet love, and hard work over his 97 years, and raised 9 brilliant, funny, interesting men and women, and had dozens upon dozens of grandchildren and great-grandchildren, it's a little easier to handle. We all miss him, and we're all sad, but we know he has gone to his reward. Home to his amazing wife. To his son who died far too soon. To count the blessings of the almost-century of his incredible life.

Goodbye Grandpa. Thank you for raising my dad to be the man he is. Thank you for your example of faith and devotion. Thank you for memories of holidays surrounded by family members and great food. Thank you for the funny stories we'll never forget. Thank you for being you. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment