Friday, July 1, 2011

These shoes were made for fighting

Inspired by this writing prompt at The Lightning and The Lightning Bug: http://thewriteandthewrongword.blogspot.com/2011/06/linkup-and-flicker-of-inspiration_26.html



Mat shoes. Quite a fashion statement, aren’t they? Add to their beauty the fact that I got them a size too large in order to accommodate chunky cushioned insoles. Totally look like a clown. Okay, maybe not really, but I feel like I do when I wear them.

I have a love/hate relationship with these shoes.

This time last year, I was preparing for a tournament. In fact, it was to be our school’s first tournament since the new owner took over, and my first tournament with our school, ever. I was also preparing to get my camo belt (why yes, there is a camouflage belt - insert "only in the South" joke here), which would move me into the intermediate class. I had technically been in basic for over a year, when the average in that class is only 6 months.

Just a couple weeks before the tournament, my left foot started to hurt. At first it was just an ache at the end of a long day, but pretty soon I couldn’t walk without a limp, and some mornings, that first step out of bed would nearly send me to the floor.

If you don’t know me, you don’t know that’s a big deal. I’m not a wimp. Okay, my family members can stop laughing now – I am a wimp about some things, but not this kind of pain. I’m the 9-hours-of-induced-labor-with-no-pain-meds girl. For those of you who haven’t had a pitocin induced contraction, just read that as “super extra painful.” Point is if I’m limping something is VERY WRONG.

The day of the tournament, I sat in the bleachers waiting my turn with my foot resting directly on a bag of ice. It was nicely numb by the time I was called to my ring, so I managed to compete. I even managed to snag two second place medals.

A couple weeks later, I promoted from yellow belt to camo. Barely. Then I couldn’t take it anymore. I called my doctor.

Doc said rest it and quit walking around barefoot. I said um, TKD is a barefoot sport. Doc said take a break and if it doesn’t get better, I’m gonna refer you to a surgeon. Break it is.

They called me with my x-ray results two days later: definitely a heel spur.

6 months. 3 full promotion cycles. Watching friends and family members pass me by.

When I just couldn’t stand sitting on the sidelines anymore, I got the shoes, put two fat gel insoles in each of them, and started again. The cushion and support allowed me to go to class. I felt self-conscious in them. When everyone else is barefoot, people notice if you are wearing shoes- especially if you are wearing huge, unattractive shoes. But it was worth it, because I earned my green belt. Finally, after 8 months.

Eventually I was able to retire them. I keep them around – I might need them again. And I’m grateful for them. They remind me of a part of my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment