Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Anonymity

I'm supposed to be writing about the rest of vacation, but that's not what's on my mind right now. I'm thinking instead about anonymity.

I think that it's possible I might maybe have absorbed some of my ex-husband's paranoia over the years we lived together. Ok, maybe some of it wasn't paranoia (he called it OPSEC and PERSEC), but the result is the same. I now cannot bear the thought of posting something with (*gasp*) our real first names in it to a public page (i.e., one that is not locked to only be viewable by people I designate as friends). But my full name is listed on Facebook.... but not my location. I know it's odd.

Writing about our vacation is what got me started thinking about it, because I realized that continuing to refer to my guys the way I started out doing so was confusing and awkward, which made me contemplate using our names.

This is what blogging creates: an awkward social space in which you are able to bare your thoughts and feelings and struggles and experiences to anyone who will read them, but at the same time, since anyone can read them, you have to consider how much you really want to bare....

No comments:

Post a Comment