Sunday, August 7, 2011

Had a DUH moment

Okay, so I have alot of those.

Background - I like forms (if you're not tkd-savvy, it's a series of moves we have to memorize in order, sort of like a simulated fight with no opponent). I spent the better part of my childhood in dance lessons, and learning a routine and learning a form is pretty similar. So I enjoy it.

Weapons and sparring, not so much.

My weapons hit the floor alot, and sometimes my face. My sparring matches aren't much better - even lower ranks beat me every time. I don't like either one very much, I just do them because I have to if I want to keep learning forms and promoting. They're like an afterthought in my martial arts training.

That right there is the problem. All of my at-home practice is working on my form. I practice it because I like it, when I really should be spending most of my extra practice time on the things I don't like because I'm not good at them.

I'll only get better if I train, and if I never train in the things I'm not good at because it's not fun (it doesn't feel good, it's frustrating, it's embarrassing), I'll never be better than I am now. Self-improvement doesn't happen if you avoid doing the hard, uncomfortable things.

*sigh*

Yep. I get it.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny you should say this. You wouldn't believe how many moments like this I have had or in what quick succession they come to me at times through my various experiences away from home.

    ReplyDelete