Friday, July 27, 2012

Competition

I just realized I'm coming up on 6 months as a black belt. Feels like I just got it!

We had our school's tournament last weekend. I always enjoy tournaments... but there's something particularly special about our own. The camraderie is greater, and there's a sense of pride in not only hosting an event like that, but doing it really well. We had a blast.

For the second time in a row, I placed first in sparring, and this time it counts (I still sort of can't believe it!). Since I became a black belt and joined the instructor training program, I'm earning points toward a state championship title. So we've decided that I'm going to chase more points... by going to as many tournaments as possible. We have one each month from now through November. I'll be busy! But I'm excited at the real possbility of pulling a title. And since The Man will be joining me, I'm sure he'll get some more titles too.

Little Man did awesome. He is getting so much better so quickly. I love watching him compete. Pretty soon he'll be competing for real too... right now he's still in the "everyone gets a medal and everyone is a winner" division, but he can't stay there once he gets his black belt - which is only a few months away! He's grown so much, and I'm so proud of him.

2 comments:

  1. Yay!

    What all is involved in the instructor training program?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I've been neglecting my blog... I didn't even see this comment till just now. Basically, we go to a couple extra classes a week where we learn how to teach, and we can promote in collar (the instructor equivalent of belts, each level up means you can teach more of the curriculum), and we are expected to help out in classes and at special events. Also, it makes you eligible for state and world championship titles within the ATA.

      Delete